It was the 20th of February 1865 when a group of Ilocano
settlers in wooden carts and horsebacks arrived at a
vast forested plainnorthwest
of the Binituan River in Nueva Ecija. They cleared
the land and started planting the
loamy soil with the rice seeds they brought with them.
They called the new land San Juan de Guimba in honor of the
patron saint the settlers brought from Ilocos, and of the
pot-making industry called “gebba” which they used to do in the old land.

Thus was the origin of Guimba and its rice industry as it rose to become the province of Nueva Ecija’s traditional top rice producing area.Soon more settlers arrived mostly from the old towns of Bacarra, Paoay, and Candon of the Ilocos provinces. Among the families who came were the Galapons, Mateos, Cudals, Padres, Cayogs, Romanos, Silvestres, Capinpuyans, Batangans, Faigals, Sumawangs, and Catabonas. What would be the town of Guimba is a relatively organized community when the Spanish colonialists arrived and appointed Don Luis De Ocampo as the first Gobernadorcillo.The Spanish left and the Americans came and in 1912, the town’s name was abbreviated to Guimba with Don Alfonso Faigal as the first Alcalde Mayor. St. John the Evangelist though remains to be its patron saint. The first municipal hall was also built during this year in what is now known as Faigal Street. The Plaza Municipal evolved and what will become the public market started its commerce. In 1963, a new municipal hall was built in its current location that was later replaced by the new structure in 2006 when the town was elevated as a first class municipality.