Municipality of Guimba, Nueva Ecija
Official Website

History of Guimba


    It was the 20th of February 1865 when a group of Ilocano settlers in wooden carts and horsebacks arrived at a vast forested plain northwest of the Binituan River in Nueva Ecija. They cleared the land and started planting the loamy soil with the rice seeds they brought with them. They called the new land San Juan de Guimba in honor of the patron saint the settlers brought from Ilocos, and of the pot-making industry called “gebba” which they used to do in the old land. Thus was the origin of Guimba and its rice industry as it rose to become the province of Nueva Ecija’s traditional top rice producing area.

    Soon more settlers arrived mostly from the old towns of Bacarra, Paoay, and Candon of the Ilocos provinces. Among the families who came were the Galapons, Mateos, Cudals, Padres, Cayogs, Romanos, Silvestres, Capinpuyans, Batangans, Faigals, Sumawangs, and Catabonas. What would be the town of Guimba is a relatively organized community when the Spanish colonialists arrived and appointed Don Luis De Ocampo as the first Gobernadorcillo.

    The Spanish left and the Americans came and in 1912, the town’s name was abbreviated to Guimba with Don Alfonso Faigal as the first Alcalde Mayor. St. John the Evangelist though remains to be its patron saint. The first municipal hall was also built during this year in what is now known as Faigal Street. The Plaza Municipal evolved and what will become the public market started its commerce. In 1963, a new municipal hall was built in its current location that was later replaced by the new structure in 2006 when the town was elevated as a first class municipality.

    The progressive town of Guimba as it is known today is a testament to the hard work and determination to succeed of its people. And of course a living monument to the vision of its leaders who served their town and constituents well:

    1. Don ALFONSO FAIGAL (1865-1868)
    2. Don GINES ONGJIANGCO (1869-1872)
    3. Don JUAN SARMIENTO (1873-1876)
    4. Don SATURNINO SANTIAGO(1877-1880)
    5. Don PABLO MEDINA (1881-1884)
    6. Don CENON RICO (1885-1888)
    7. Don ANDRES AFAN SALVADOR (1889-1891)
    8. Don MARTIN BAGAIN (1892-1895)
    9. Don ESTEBAN DUBAL (1896-1899)
    10. Don LUIS DE OCAMPO (1900-1903)
    11. Don PABLO RAMOS (1910-1912)
    12. Don SANTIAGO CUDAL (1912-1916)
    13. Don SIMON SAWIT (1916-1919)
    14. Don EUSEBIO TABAQUIN (1921-1922)
    15. Don FELIX RAMENTO (1922-1925)
    16. Don AGUSTIN VIGILIA (1925-1928)
    17. Don ALFONSO FAIGAL (1928-1937)
    18. Don JUAN VILLAMAR (1941-1943)
    19. Don PEDRO CORPUZ (1943-1945)
    20. Don ANACLETO RAMOS (1945-1948)
    21. Hon. GIL DIZON (1948-1952)
    22. Hon. ARSENIO PADRE (1953-1955)
    23. Hon. VIRGILIO CALICA (1956-1957)
    24. Hon. INOCENCIO GARAMPIL (1964-1967)
    25. Hon. SEVERINO BERNARDINO (1968-1980)
    26. Hon. VIRGILIO CALICA (1981-1983)
    27. Hon. ANASTACIO ORTIZ (1983-1984)
    28. Hon. JOSE DIZON (1988-1992)
    29. Hon. CESAR CUCIO (1992-1995)
    30. Hon. NESTOR BERNARDINO (1995-1998)
    31. Hon. JOSE LUCIUS POCHOLO DIZON (1998-2007)
    32. Hon. JOSE FRANCIS STEVENS DIZON (2007-Present)

    (Guimba’s historical account is based on a document attributed to former Vice-Mayor Lino Padre, Jr. with references from a brochure attributed to the Guimba Tourism Office).

Page 1